It's 0830 on 1 Feb 1990, and B Company, 1st Airborne Battalion has set up a road block on the main east-west artery (#11), just east of the bridge seized by A Company earlier in the morning (#3). The goal of B Company is to defend the road block to protect the western landing site, and they are being attacked by elements of the regime's 28th Infantry Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion.
1) B Squadron SOF destroyed a radar site in support of amphibious landings at Playa Colorada (5). B Sqdn then egressed and linked up with CLA rotary wing assets for their follow-on mission in Havana (6).
2) C Squadron SOF destroyed a the Cuban military's communications center.
3) 1st Para Battalion dropped in and seized a bridge to screen the landings at Playa Colorada (5).
4) 2nd Para battalion dropped in and eliminated a Castro-regime garrison to screen the landings at the Bay of Pigs (just west of (4).
5) 1st Marine Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, made an amphibious assault at Playa Colorada.
6) A Squadron SOF attacked a Castro-regime SAM site near Havana, which failed to clear the way for B Squadron's helo assault into Havana.
7) 2nd Marine Company, 6th Infantry Battalion, landed at the Bay of Pigs then turned east and ran into a strong enemy force, which it handily defeated.
8) B Company of the UWG pursued and destroyed an enemy garrison in the Escambray Mountains.
9) B Squadron SOF conducted an aerial insertion into Havana to seize a radio station and broadcast news of the invasion.
10) 10th Popular Force Battalion seized and blew the bridge at Pedroso to protect the Bay of Pigs landing site from the Matanzas garrison.
11) 1st Airborne Battalion defended a roadblock from regime counterattack to protect the western landing site (at Playa Colorada).
Commanding Officer of B Company, Captain Banos.
Colonel Lucastro, Battalion Commander, 1st Airborne Battalion, who was decorated for valor with the Estrella de Bronce, in the earlier fight for the Sandino bridge.
Wow! I really thought the CLA was in for a rough time, with the enemy forces having a small force, but one large enough it couldn't be ignored, in the north, and a larger force which darted south to their exposed flank. And then the regime forces put the Battalion Commander and a rifle team out of the fight, but the mortar was able to lay it down in the south, and Tm4 bravely rushed ahead to put a team out in close combat, knock another out with rifle fire, then turn back a desperate enemy thrust to take out the only weapon capable of dealing with the BTRs.
CLA: Colonel Lucastro WIA, out for the remainder of the campaign, ~15 KIA/WIA
Regime: ~30 KIA/WIA, two BTR-60s destroyed
Sergeant Villagrosa of Team 4 was decorated for valor with the Estrella de Plata. Sgt Villagrosa becomes acting Commander, B Company; Captain Banos becomes Commander, A Company, while Captain Olejandro becomes Acting Battalion Commander due to Colonel Lucastro being medically evacuated.
Stay tuned, two more to go.